An extensive citations list of peer reviewed publications, research and clinical studies using BodyMedia technology.
More information about most of these publications can be found at Google Scholar or PubMed. Both sites link to the full text where available.
Validation & Comparison Studies
- Berntsen S, Stafne SN, Morkved S. Physical activity monitor fo recording energy expenditure in pregnancy. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2011. Aug;90(8):903-7.
- Brazeau AS, Karelis AD, Mignault D, Lacroix MJ, Prud'homme D, Rabasa-Lhoret R. Test-retest reliability of a portable monitor to assess energy expenditure. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2011. Jun;36(3):339-43.
- Colbert LH, Matthews CE, Havighurst TC, Kim K, Schoeller DA. Comparative validity of physical activity measures in older adults. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011. May;43(5):867-76.
- Drenowatz C, Eisenmann JC. Validation of the SenseWear Armband at high intensity exercise. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2011. May;111(5):883-7.
- Johannsen DL, Calabro MA, Stewart J, Franke W, Rood JC, Welk GJ. Accuracy of Armband Monitors for Measuring Daily Energy Expenditure in Healthy Adults. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2010. Nov;42(11):2134-40
- Guan S, Zhu W, Youm S. Concurrent Validity Evidence of Common Physical Activity Measures - A Meta-Analysis. Presented at AAHPERD. 2010. Indianapolis, IN.
- Heiermann S, Khalaj HK, Muller MJ, Dittmar M. Accuracy of a Portable Multisensor Body Monitor for Predicting Resting Energy Expenditure in Older People: A Comparison with Indirect Calorimetry. Gerontology. 2010 Dec 22. [Epub ahead of print].
- Giobbi G. Evaluation of total energy expenditure in adult, overweight and free-living subjects. A comparison between two methods: Factorial Method vs. SenseWear Armband “Metabolic Holter”. Clin Ter (La Clinica Terapeutica). 2008 Nov-Dec;159(6):405-7.
- Berntsen S, Hageberg R, Aandstad A, Mowinckel P, Anderssen SA, Carlsen KH, Andersen LB. Validity of physical activity monitors in adults participating in free living activities. Br J Sports Med. 2008 Jul 15 [Epub ahead of print].
- St-Onge M, Mignault D, Allison D, Rabasa-Lhoret R. Evaluation of a portable device to measure daily energy expenditure in free-living adults. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007 Mar;85:742-9.
- Welk G, McClain J, Eisenmann J, Wickel E. Field Validation of the MTI Actigraph and BodyMedia Armband Monitor Using the IDEEA Monitor. Obesity. 2007 Apr;15(4):918-928.
- Malavolti M, Pietrobelli A, Dugoni M, Poli M, Romagnoli E, De Critofaro P, Battistini NC. A new device for measuring resting energy expenditure (REE) in healthy subjects. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2007 Jun;17(5):338-43. [Epub 2006 Mar 20].
- De Cristofaro P, Pietrobelli P, Dragani B, Malatesta G, Arzeni S, Luciani M, Malavolti M, Battistini NC. Total Energy Expenditure in Morbidly Obese Subjects: A New Device Validation. Obesity Research. 2005;13:A175.
- Wadsworth D, Howard T, Hallam J, Blunt G. University of Mississippi, MS University, Mississippi Valley State University, Itta Bena, MS. A Validation Study of a Continuous Body-monitoring Device: Assessing Energy Expenditure at Rest and during Exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2005 May;37(5):S24.
- King G, Deemer S, Franco B, Potter C, Coleman K. Accuracy of Three Physical Activity Monitors to Measure Energy Expenditure During Activities of Daily Living. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2005 May;37(5):S115.
- McClain J, Welk G, Wickel E, Eisenmann J. Accuracy of Energy Expenditure Estimates from the BodyMedia SenseWear® Pro2 Armband. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2005 May;37(5):S116-S117.
- Hanby C, Matthews C, Chen K. Counting Steps with Four Physical Activity Monitors. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2005 May;37(5):S117.
- Jakicic JM, Marcus M, Gallagher KI, Randall C, Thomas E, Goss FL, Robertson RJ. Evaluation of the SenseWear Pro Armband to assess energy expenditure during exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2004 May;36(5):897-904.
- Fruin ML, Rankin JW. Validity of a multi-sensor armband in estimating rest and exercise energy expenditure. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2004 Jun;36(6):1063-9.
- King GA, Torres N, Potter C, Brooks TJ, Coleman KJ. Comparison of activity monitors to estimate energy cost of treadmill exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2004 Jul;36(7):1244-51.
- Fruin ML, Rankin JW. Reliability and validity of a multi-sensor armband in estimating resting and exercise energy expenditure. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2003 May;35(5):S285.
- Hanby C, Matthews C, Chen K. Counting Steps with Four Physical Activity Monitors. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2005 May;37(5):S117.
- Cole PJ, LeMura LM, Klinger TA, Strohecker K, McConnell TR. Measuring energy expenditure in cardiac patients using the BodyMedia armband versus indirect calorimetry. A validation study. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2004 Sep;44(3)262-71.
- Backlund C, Larsson C, Sundelin G, Effects of a 2-year lifestyle intervention on physical activity in overweight and obese children. Adv in Physiotherapy. 2011. Sept;13(3):97-109.
- Backlund C, Larsson C, Sundelin G. Effect of a 1-year lifestyle intervention on physical activity in overweight and obese children. Adv in Physiotherapy. 2011. Sept;13(3):87-96.
- Shuger SL, Barry VW, Sui X, McClain A, Hand GA, Wilcox S, Meriwether RA, Hardin JW, Blair SN. Electronic feedback in a diet and physical activity-based lifestyle intervention for weight loss: a randomized controlled trial. Int J Behav Nutri Phys. 2011. May 18;8:41.
- Sieverdes JC, Sui X, Hand GA, Barry VW, Wilcox S, Meriwether RA, Hardin JW, McClain AC, Blair SN. Cardiometabolic results from an armband-based weight loss trial. Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes. 2011;4:187-194. Epub 2011 May 30.
- Pellegrini CA, Verba SD, Otto AD, Helsel DL, Davis KK, Jakicic JM. The Comparison of a Technology-Based System and an In-Person Weight Loss Intervention. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2011 Feb 10. [Epub ahead of print].
- Barry, VW, McClain AC, Shuger S, Sui X, Hardin JW, Hand GA, Wilcox S, Blair SN. Using a technology-based intervention to promote weight loss in sedentary overweight or obese adults: a randomized controlled trial study design. Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity: Targets and Therapy. 2011 Feb:4 67-77.
- Goodpaster BH, Delany JP, Otto Ad, Kuller L, Vockley J, South-Paul JE, Thomas SB, Brown J, McTigue K, Hames KC, Lang W, Jakicic, JM. Effects of diet and physical activity interventions on weight loss and cardiometabolic risk factors in severely obese adults: a randomized trial. JAMA. 2010. Oct 27;304(16):1795-802.
- Pelligrini CA, Verba S, Mishler A, Justice B, Murray T, Jakicic JM. A Technology-Based System is an Effective Alternative to an In-Person Weight Loss Intervention. Presented at the Annual Obesity Society Meeting. 2010. San Diego, CA, USA.
- Barry VW, Shuger SL, Beets X, Wilcox S, Hand G, McClain AC, Blair SN. Wearing the SenseWear Armband and Weight Loss in Sedentary Overweight and Obese Adults. Presented at the Annual ACSM conference. 2010. Baltimore, MD.
- Dutton CA, Jakicic JM, Verba S, Rompolski K, Justice B, Mishler A, Murray T. Effects of Adding a Technology-based system to an In-person Weight Loss Program. Presented at the Annual ACSM Conference. 2010. Baltimore, MD, USA.
- McGuire A, Welk GJ, Paulson K, Munden K, Stewart J. Utility of the SenseWear Weight Management System for Evaluating Energy Balance in Adults. Presented at the Annual ACSM Conference. 2010. Baltimore, MD, USA.
- Sui X, Meriwether R, Hand G, Wilcox S, Dowda M, Blair S. Electronic Feedback in a Diet and Physical Activity-Based Lifestyle Intervention for Weight Loss: Randomized Controlled Trail. Presented at the American Heart Association Joint Conference of Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism and Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology and Prevention Annual Conference. 2010. San Francisco, CA, USA.
- Polzien K, Jakicic JM, Tate D, Otto A. The Efficacy of a Technology-based System in a Short-term Behavioral Weight Loss Intervention. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2007 Apr;15(4):825-30.
Scientific Abstracts & Presentations
- Calabro MA, Lee J, Yoo HL, Saint-Maurice P, Welk GJ. Validity of Physical Activity Monitors for Assessing Light Intensity Activity in Adults. Presented at the Annual ACSM Conference. 2010. Baltimore, MD, USA.
- Koehler K, De Marees M, Braun H, Schaenzer W. Comparison of Two Portable Devices for Assessing Energy Expenditure During High-intensity Running. Presented at the Annual ACSM Conference. 2010. Baltimore, MD, USA.
- Davis GM, Tanhoffer RA, Tanhoffer AIP, Pithon KR, Estigoni EH, Raymond J. Energy Expenditure during Wheelchair Propulsion Derived from a Body-worn Sensor versus Indirect Calorimetry. Presented at the Annual ACSM Conference. 2010. Baltimore, MD, USA.
- Tolomio S, Brugin E, Ermolao A, Di Stefano E, Zanella E, Zaccaria M. Energy Expenditure Measure by Portable Accelerometer During A High Altitude Trekking. Presented at the Annual ACSM Conference. 2010. Baltimore, MD, USA.
- Tanhoffer RA, Tanhoffer AIP, Raymond J, Hills AP, Davis GM. Estimation of Energy Expenditure in People with Spinal Cord Injury: A Pilot Study. Presented at the Annual ACSM Conference. 2010. Baltimore, MD, USA.
- Santanasto AJ, Glynn NW, Taylor CA, Newman MA, Newman AB, Goodpaster BH. Validation of Energy Expenditure Using a Multisensor Body Monitor in Older Adults. Presented at the Annual ACSM Conference. 2010. Baltimore, MD, USA.
- Colbert LH, Matthews CE, Schoeller DA. Validity of Physical Activity Measures during a 23-Hour Metabolic Chamber Stay in Older Adults. Presented at the Annual ACSM Conference. 2010. Baltimore, MD, USA.
- Segreti A, Stirpe E, Appodia M, Ciaprini C, Cazzola C. Energy Expenditure in COPD patients: estimating the impact of bronchodilators using SenseWear armband. Presented at the European Respiratory Society Meeting. 2009. Vienna, Italy.
- Alotair H, Sharif M, BaHammam A. Assessment of sleep pattern, energy expenditure and circadian pattern of body temperature for patients with acute coronary syndrome using the armband; a preliminary report. Presented at the European Respiratory Society Meeting. 2009. Vienna, Italy.
- De Cusatis G, Costa F, Malagrino L, Antonelli S, De Simone C, Brogi S, Santerini S, Vagaggini B, Paggiaro PL. Assessment of Physical Activity using a Multisensory SenseWear Armband during a Rehabilitation Program in COPD Exacerbation. Presented at the European Respiratory Care Association. 2009. Stresa, Italy.
- Gomez-Ambrosi J, Ibanex P, Vila N, Millan D, Pizzaro M, Rodriguez A, Catalan V, Gil MJ, Escalada J, Silva C, Salvador J, Fruhbeck G. Obese subjects exhibit a reduced physical activity assessed by the accelerometer Actical. Obesity Facts 2009;2(suppl 2):1-256.
- Morris NR, Seal HE, Stroud H, Walsh JR, Johnson BD, Adams L, Zimmerman PV. The Relationship between Physical Activity Level Six Minute Walk Distance in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Patients. Am J Respir Care Med. 2009;179:A3855.
- Morris NR, Van de Wetering RA, De Rooij M, Sabapathy S. Sensitivity of an Armband Device for Measuring Changes in Energy Expenditure during Exercise. Am J Respir Care Med. 2009;179:A3846.
- Mealey A, Jakicic JM, FACSM, Mealy L, Davis K, McDermott M. Univeristy of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA. Validation of the SenseWear Pro Armband to Estimate Energy Expenditure during a Simulation of Daily Activity. Abstract presented at the Annual Meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine. 2007. New Orleans, LA. USA.
- Davis K, Jakicic JM, FACSM, Mealy A, Mealy L, McDermott M. University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA. Does Clothing Affect the Accuracy of the SenseWear Pro Armband to Estimate Energy Expenditure During Walking. Abstract presented at the Annual Meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine. 2007. New Orleans, LA. USA.
- Calabro MA, Welk G, FACSM, Eisenmann J. Iowa State University, Ames, IA. Measurement Agreement Between Two Pattern-Recognition Activity Monitors During Free-Living Conditions. Abstract presented at the Annual Meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine. 2007. New Orleans, LA. USA.
- Galvani C, Andreoletti L, Besi M, Faina M. Catholic University, Milan, Italy. Comparison of Activity Monitors Accuracy to Estmate Energy Expenditure of Daily Living Activities. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2007 May;39(5):S182.
- Welk G, FACSM, Calabro MA, Matthews C, Carriquiry A, Nusser S. Iowa State University, Ames, IA. Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN. Validation of a Computerized 24 Hour Physical Activity Recall (24PAR) Instrument Using Pattern Recognition Monitors. Abstract presented at the Annual Meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine. 2007. New Orleans, LA. USA.
- Troosters T, Langer D, Saey D, Gosselink R, Decramer M. Assessment of Physical Activity using a Multisensor Armband. Poster presented at the European Respiratory Meeting. 2006. Munich, Germany.
- Andreacci J, Dixon C, Timothy R, FACSM. Validation of the SenseWear® armband to Assess Energy Expenditure in Children Ranging in Body Size. Abstract presented at the Annual Meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine. 2006. Denver, CO. USA.
- Germaine A, Buysse DJ, Kupfer DJ. Preliminary Validation of a New Device for Studying Sleep. Abstract presented at “SLEEP 2006” – 20th Anniversary Meeting of the Associated Professional Sleep Societies (AOSS). 2006. Salt Lake City, Utah. USA.
- Papazoglou, DP, Papazoglou LP, Papdopoulos TP, Papanas NP, Paptheodorou KP, Kotsiou SK, Maltezos EM. Field Evaluation of a multi-sensor armband in Greek women. Abstract presented at the European Congress of Endocrinology. 2006. Glasgow, UK.
- Park Y. Binormal Distribution and Energy Expenditure Measured with SenseWear® Pro Armband. Poster presented at the AAHPERD National Convention and Exposition. 2006. Salt Lake City, UT.
- Malavolti M, Pietrobelli A, Dugoni M, Cristofaro P, Battistini NC. Modena and Reggio Emilia University, Verona University Medical School, Italy. A New Device for Measuring Daily Total Energy Expenditure (TEE) in Free Living Individuals. Abstract presented at 7th International Symposium – “In Vivo Body Composition Studies” of the Intl J of Body Comp Research. 2005. Southampton, UK.
- Fiocchi P, Bollini F, Lanfanchi S, Zarcone D. U.O. Relationship between Active and Total Energy Expenditure in Sindeham Chorea: A Clinical Case. Abstract presented at the Italian Association of Clinical Neurology. 2005.
- McClain J, Welk G, Wickel E, Eisenmann J. Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ and Iowa State University, Ames, IA. Accuracy of Energy Expenditure Estimates from the BodyMedia SenseWear Pro2 Armband. Poster presented at the Annual meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine. 2005. Nashville, TN. USA.
- Colombi A, Vishnubahtla S, Adams KJ, Tollerud DJ, Peele PB. SenseWear personal energy expenditure measurements for protracted, repetitive, upper-extremity tasks with and without process automation. Abstract presented at the 27th International Congress of Occupational Health. 2003. Iguasso Falls, Brazil.
Diet & Lifestyle
- Cupisti A, Capitanini A, Betti G, D'Alessandro C, Barsotti G. Assessment of habitual physical activity and energy expenditure in dialysis patients and relationships to nutritional parameters. Clin Nephrol. 2011. Mar; 75(3):218-25.
- Elbelt U, Schuetz T, Hoffmann I, Pirlich M, Strasburg CJ, Lochs J. Differences in energy expenditure and physical activity patterns in subjects with various degrees of obesity. Clin Nutr. 2010. Dec;29(6):766-62.
- Turzyniecka M, Wild SH, Krentz AJ, Chipperfield AJ, Clough GF, Byrne CD. Diastolic Function is Strongly and Independently Associated with Cardiorespiratory Fitness in Central Obesity. J Appl Physiol. 2010. Mar;108:1568-74.
- Leatherdale ST, Woodruff SJ, Manske SR. Energy expenditure while playing active and inactive video games. Am J Health Behav. 2010 Jan-Feb;34(1):31-5
- Otten J, Jones K, Littenberg B, Harvey-Berino J. Effects of Television Viewing on Redution of Energy Intake and Expenditure in Overweight and Obese Adults. Arch Intern Med. 2009. Dec;169:2109-15
- Gomez-Ambrosi J, Iban ez P, Vila N, Millan D, Pizarro M, Rogriquez A, Catalan V, Gil MJ. Obese Subjects exhibit a reduced physical activity assessed by accelerometry. Trauma (ESP). 2009 April-June;20(2):83-91.
- Coopoo Y, Constantinou D, Rothberg AD. Energy expenditure in office workers with identified health risks. S African Journ Sports Med. 2008. Aug;20(2):40-44.
- Hendrich A, Chow M, Skierczynski B, Lu Z. A 36-Hosptial Time and Motion Study: How Do Medical-Surgical Nurses Spend Their Time? The Permanente Journal. 2008. Vol. 12:3.
- Baldini M, Pasqui F, Bordoni A, Maranesi M. Is the Mediterranean lifestyle still a reality? Evaluation of food consumption and energy expenditure in Italian and Spanish university students. Public Health Nutr. 2009 Feb;12(2):148-55. [Epub 2008 May 27].
- Slinde F, Karlsson S, Klingberg S, Hulthen L, Svantesso U. Large Variation in Energy Expenditure in Swedish Elite Athletes. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2008 May;40(5):S248-249.
- Johannsen DL, Welk G, Sharp RL, Flakoll PJ. Differences in daily energy expenditure in lean and obese women: the role of posture allocation. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008 Jan;16(1):34-9.
- Langer D, Gosselink R, Pitta F, Burtin C, Verleden G, Dupont L, Decramer M, Troosters T. Determinants of Physical Activity in Daily Life 1 Year after Lung Transplantation. Presented at the European Respiratory Society meeting. 2008. Berlin, Germany.
- Pirovano A, Frige F, Veronelli A, Laneri M, Pontiroli A. Comparison of energy expenditure through armband and international physical activity quesitonnaire (IPAQ), and of energy intake through 3-days diary and 24-hours recall. Presented at 68th American Diabetes Association. 2008. San Francisco, CA, USA.
- Klein DA, Mayer LE, Schebendach JE, Walsh BT. Physical activity and cortisol in anorexia nervosa. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2007. Jun;32(5):539-47.
- Barichella M, Savardi C, Mauri A, Marczewska A, Vairo A, Baldo C, Massarotto A, Cordara SE, Pezzoli G. Diet with LPP for renal patients increases daily energy expenditure and improves motor function in parkinsonian patients with motor fluctuations. Nutr Neurosci. 2007 Jun-Aug;10(3-4):129-35.
- Papazoglou D, Augello G, Tagliaferri M, Savia G, Marzullo P, Matlezos E, Liuzzi A. Evaluation of a multisensor armband in estimating energy expenditure in obese individuals. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2006 Dec;14(12):2217-23.
- Wadsworth D, Hallam J, Grandjean P. Differences between subjective and objective observations of physical activity for college females. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2006 May;38(5):S554.
- Ferrari E, Mussi C, Foroni M. How to Evaluate Physical Activity in the Geriatrics Clinic? Presented at the 52nd Annual meeting of the Italian Society of Gerontology and Geriatrics. 2006. Florence, Italy.
- Roggi C, Cena H, Turconi G. Can the Lifestyle of the Obese Patient be Assessed? Presented at the 42nd National Congress S.I.T.I.(Italian Society of Hygiene, Preventive Medicine and Public Health). 2006. Catania, Italy.
- Layman DK, Evans E, Baum JI, Seyler J, Erickson DJ, Boileau RA. Dietary protein and exercise have additive effects on body composition during weight loss in adult women. J Nutr. 2005 Aug;135(8):1903-10.
- Keim NL, Blanton CA, Kretsch MJ. America’s obesity epidemic: measuring physical activity to promote an active lifestyle. J Am Diet Assoc. 2004 Sep;104(9):1398-409.
- Cavalheri V, Donana L, Ferreira T, Finatti M, Camillo CA, Cipulo Ramos EM, Pitta F. Energy Expenditure during daily activities as measured by two motion sensors in patients with COPD. Respir Med. 2011. Jun;105(6):922-9.
- Hill K. Dolmage T, Woon L, Goldstein R, Brooks D. Measurement Properties of the SenseWear Armband in Adults with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Thorax. 2010. June;65(6):486-91.
- Troosters T, Sciurba F, Battaglia S, Langer D, Valluri SR, Martino L, Benzo R, Andre D, Weisman I, Decramer M. Physical Inactivity in Patients with COPD, a controlled multi-center pilot-study. Respir Med. 2010. Jul;104(7):1005-11.
- Langer D, Gosselink R, Sena R, Burtin C, Decramer M, Troosters T. Activity Monitoring in Patients with COPD: Validation of Two Devices to Detect Postures, Steps, and Energy Expenditure. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2009;179:A3849.
- Deering G, McCormack N, Egan C, Kelly E, O’Neill SJ, McElvaney NJ, Costello RW. Inflammation, Free-living Activities (as Measured by SenseWear® Activity Monitors) and Quality of Life in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). Dept of Respiratory Medicine, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9. Presented 2009.
- McCormack N, Deering B, Egan C, Costello RW. Correlates of Functional Capacity and Gender Standardised Assessment Tools in Patients with stable Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Diseass (COPD). Dept of Respiratory Medicine, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9. Presented 2009.
- Watz H, Waschki B, Meyer T, Magnussen H. Physical Activity in patients with COPD. Euro Respir J. 2009 Feb;33(2):262-72. [Epub 2008 Nov 14]
- Langer D, Dobbels F, Pitta F, Burtin C, Verleden G, Dupont L, Decramer M, Gosselink R, Troosters T. 479: Physical Activities in Daily Life Remain Abnormal 1 Year after Lung Transplantation. J Heart and Lung Transplantation. 2008 Feb;27(2):S232.
- Watz H, Waschki B, Boehme C, Claussen M, Meyer T, Magnussen H. Extrapulmonary effects of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease on physical activity: a cross-sectional study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2008 Apr;177(7):675-6.
- Camillo CA, Pitta F, Possani HV, Barbosa MV, Marques DS, Cavalheri V, Probst VS, Brunetto AF. Heart rate variability and disease characteristics in patients with COPD. Lung. 2008 Nov-Dec;186(6):393-401. [Epub 2008 Sep 25].
- Pita F, Takaki M, de Oliveria N, Sant’Anna T, Fontana A, Kovelis D, Camillo C, Probst V, Brunetto A. Relationship between pulmonary function and physical activity in daily life in patients with COPD. Respiratory Medicine. 2008 March;102:1203-1207. [Epub 2008 June 24].
- Cristafulli E, Bortolotti V, Beneventi C, Bellantone T, Prato F, Eutropio E, Fabbri L, Costi S, Clini E. Energy Expenditure at Rest and during Walking Test in COPD Patients on Long-Term Oxygen. Validation Study of a Body-monitoring Device. Presented at the European Respiratory Society meeting. 2008. Berlin, Germany.
- Hill K, Woon L, Dolmage T, Goldstein R, Brooks D. The SenseWear Armband Yields Valid and Responsive Measurements of Energy Expenditure in Patients With COPD. Presented at the European Respiratory Society meeting. 2008. Berlin, Germany.
- Wilcock E, Cox V, Singh S. Validity and Reproducibility of a Multisensor Accelerometer at Slow Walking Speeds in COPD. Presented at the European Respiratory Society meeting. 2008. Berlin, Germany.
- Patel S, Benzo R, Slivka W, Sciurba F. Activity Monitoring and Energy Expenditure in COPD Patients: A Validation Study. COPD: Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. 2007 April;3:107-12.
- Battaglia S, Martino L, Spatafora M, Bellia V. Correlates of Energy Expenditure and Sedentary Life in Free-Living COPD. Presented at the American Thoracic Society Annual Meeting. 2006.
- Pitta F, Troosters T, Probst VS, Spruit MA, Decramer M, Gosselink R. Quantifying physical activity in daily life with questionnaires and motion sensors in COPD. Eur Respir J. 2006 May;27(5):1040-55.
- Martino L, Battaglia S, Spatafora M, Gagliardo C, Bellia V. Correlates of body composition alterations in elderly patients with COPD. Poster presented at 7th National Congress for Pneumology. 2006. Firenze, Italy.
- Patel S, Sciurba. Emerging Concepts in Outcome Assessment in COPD Clinical Trials. Seminars in Respir Crit Care Med. 2005;26:253-262.
- Patel S, Slivka W, Sciurba F. Validation of a Wearable Body Monitoring Device in COPD. Amer J of Respir Crit Care Med. 2004 May;30:A771.
- Backlund C, Sundelin G, Larsson C. Validity of Armband measuring energy expenditure in overweight and obese children. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2010 Jun;42(6):1154-61.
- Soric M, Misigoj-Durakovic M. Physical activity levels and estimated energy expenditure in overweight and normal weight 11-year-old children. Acta Paediatr. 2010 Feb;99(2):244-50. Epub 2009 Oct 22.
- Calabro MA, Welk GJ, Eisenmann JC. Validation of the SenseWear Pro Armband algorithms in children. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2009 Sep;41(9):1714-20.
- Berntsen S, Carlsen KC, Anderssen SA, Mowinckel P, Hageberg R, Bueso AK, Carlsen KH. Norwegian adolescents with asthma are physical active and fit. Allergy. 2009 Mar;64(3):421-6. Epub 2009 Jan 27.
- Arvidsson D, Slinde F, Larsson S, Hulthen L. Energy cost in children assessed by multisensory activity monitors. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2009 Mar;41(3):603-11.
- Waling M, Larsson C. Energy Intake of Swedish Overweight and Obese Children Is Underestimated Using a Diet History Interview. J Nutr. 2009 Mar;139(3):522-7.
- Dorminy C, Choi L, Akohoue S, Chen K, Buchowski M. Validity of a Multisensor Armband in Estimating 24-hr Energy Expenditure in Children. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2008 Apr;40(4):699-706.
- Mealey A. University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA. Validation of the BodyMedia SenseWear Pro Armband® to Estimate Energy Expenditure in Severely Overweight Children during Various Modes of Activity. Dissertation presented and defended for PhD. 2008 July.
- Wickel E, Eisenmann J, Welk G. Predictive validity of an age-specific MET equation among youth of varying body size. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2007 July;101:555-563.
- Arvidsoon D, Slinde F, Larsson S, Hulthen L. Energy cost of physical activities in children: validation of SenseWear Armband. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2007 Nov;39(11):2076-84.
- Potter C, Deemer S, Sifuentes C, Coleman K, King G, Bassett D. Accuracy of an Armband Type Physiological Body Monitor to Estimate Walking Energy Expenditure in Children. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2006 May;38(5):S208
- Crawford K, Robertson R, Burdett R, Goss F, Jakicic JM, Nagel-Stilley E. Validation of the SenseWear Armband to Assess Energy Expenditure of Adolescents During Various Modes of Activity. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2005 May;37(5):S437.
- Tejero Garcia S, Giraldez Sanchez MA, Cejudo P, Quintana Galleogo E, Dapena J, Garcia Jimenez R, Cano Luis P, Gomez de Terreros I. Bone health, daily physical activity, and exercise tolerance in patients with cystic fibrosis. Chest. 2011. Aug;140(2):475-81).
- Dwyer TJ, Alison JA, McKeough ZJ, Elkins MR, Bye PR. Evaluation of the SenseWear activity monitor during exercise in cystic fibrosis and in health. Respir Med. 2009 Oct;103(10):1511-7. Epub 2009 May 23.
- Troosters T, Langer D, Vrijsen B, Segers J, Wouters K, Janssens W, Gosselink R, Decramer M, Dupont L. Skeletal muscle weakness, exercise tolerance and physical activity in adults with cystic fibrosis. Eur Respir J. 2009 Jan;33(1):99-106. [Epub 2008 Aug 20].
- Dwyer T, Alison J, McKeough Z, Elkins M, Bye P. 1. Discipline of Physiotherapy, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia; 2.Repiratory Medicine, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, NSW, Australia. Evaluation of the SenseWear Pro3 Armband to Measure Energy Expenditure during Treadmill Walking in CF and Healthy Age-matched Control Subjects. Abstract presented at 22nd Annual Cystic Fibrosis Conference. 2008, Orlando, FL. USA.
- Junge S, Plischke M, Stein L, Tegtbur U, Ballmann M. 1.Ped Pneumology, medical School, Hannover Germany; 2.Peter L. Reichertz Institute for Medical Informatics University of Braunschweig-Institute of Technology, Medical School, Hannover, Germany; 3.Centre of Sports Medicine, Medical School, Hannover, Germany. A New Device for Measuring Physical Activity in Children and Adolescents with Cystic Fibrosis. Poster presented at the 22nd Annual Cystic Fibrosis Conference. 2008, Orlando, FL. USA.
- Junge S, Stein L, Tegtbur U, Ballmann M. 1.Ped Pneumology and Neonatology, Medical School, Hannover, Germany; 2.Centre of Sports Medicine, Medical School, Hannover, Germany. Age and Sex Related Physical Activity in Children and Adolescents with Cystic Fibrosis. Poster presented at the 22nd Annual Cystic Fibrosis Conference. 2008, Orlando, FL. USA.
- Fleet-Mischaliszyn S, Soreca I, Otto A, Jakicic JM, Fagiolini A, Kupfer D, Goodpaster B. A Prospective Observational Study of Obesity, Body Composition, and Insulin Resistance in 18 Women with Bipolar Disorder and 17 Matched Control Subjects. J Clin Psychiatry. 2008 Dec;69(12):1892-900. [Epub 2008 Oct 21].
- Cereda E, Turrini M, Ciapanna D, Marbello L, Pietrobelli A, Corradi E. Assessing energy expenditure in cancer patients: a pilot validation of a new wearable device. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2007 Nov – Dec: 31(6):502-7.
- Fouladiun M, Korner U, Gunnebo L, Sixt-Ammilon P, Bosaeus I, Lundholm K. Daily physical activity-rest in relation to nutritional state, metabolism, and quality of life in cancer patients with progressive cachexia. Clin Cancer Res. 2007 Nov;13(21):6379-85.
- Castelnuovo G, Manzoni GM, Cuzziol P, Cesa GL, Tuzzi C, Villa V, Liuzzi A, Petroni ML, Molinari E. TECNOB: study design of a randomized controlled trial of a multidisciplinary telecare intervention for boese patients with Type 2 diabetes. BMC Public Health. 2010. Apr23;10:204.
- Jansen HJ, Vervoort G, van der Graaf M, Tack CJ. Pronounced weight gain in insulin-treated patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus with an unfavorable cardiometabolic risk profile. Neth J Med. 2010 Nvo;68(11):359-66.
- Pezzino S, Florenty S, Fagour C, Gin H, Rigalleau V. Remedial Actions for the Physical Inactivity of Hospitalized Patients with Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2010. Sept;33(9):1960-1.
- Turzyniecka M, Wild SH, Krentz AJ, Chiipperfield AJ, Gamble J, Clough CF, Byrne CD. Skeletal muscle microvascular exchange capacity is associated with hyperglycaemia in subjects with central obesity. Diabet Med. 2009 Nov;26(11):1112-9.
- Cocozza S, Donnarumma G, Massimino E, Tia V, Procino F, Lapice E, Giacco A, Vaccaro O. Validation of a new portable device for the measurement of resting energy expenditrure in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. G Ital Diabetol Metab. 2009 Sep;29:114-9.
- Pes GM, Tolu F, Battistini NC, Delitala G, Maioli M. Chronobiologic analysis of physical activity in subjects with impaired glucose tolerance (IGT). G It Diabetol Metab. 2009;29:60-65.
- Valitutti T, Bellistri G, Mauri C, Frige F, Laneri M, Turri O, Veronelli A, Pontiroli A. Comparison of insulin resistance, energy expenditure, enothelial function, and inflammation in anorexia nervosa and in cachexia. Presented at 68th American Diabetes Association. 2008. SanFrancisco, CA, USA.
- Andre D, Wolf D. BodyMedia, Inc. Pittsburgh, PA. Recent Advances in Free-Living Physical Activity Monitoring: A Review. J Diabetes Sci Technol 2007;1(5):760-767.
- DeFeo P, DiLoreto C, Ranchelli A, Fatone C, Miccio M, Gambelunghe G, Lucidi P. Alternative Indicators in Metabolic Control. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practive. 2006;74:S72-S66.
- Mignault D, St-Onge M, Karelis AD, Allison DB, Rabasa-Lhoret R. Evaluation of the Portable HealthWear Armband: a device to measure total daily energy expenditure in free-living type 2 diabetic individuals. Diabetes Care. 2005 Jan;28(1):225-7.
- Crawley M. Cleveland State University, Cleveland, OH. Validation of the SenseWear HR Armband for Measuring Heart Rate and Energy Expenditure. Dissertation submitted and defended for MS. 2008 May.
- Al-Ahmad A, Homer M, Wang P. Stanford University Medical Center. Accuracy and Utility of Multi-Sensor Armband ECG Signal Compared to Holder Monitoring. Presented at New Arrhythmia Technologies Retreat. 2004. Chicago, IL. USA.
- Al Otair H, Al-Shamiri M, Bahobail M, Sharif MM, BaHammam AS. Assessment of sleep patterns, energy expenditure, and circadian rhythms of skin temperature in patients with acute coronary syndrome. Med Sci Monit. 2011. Jul;17(7):CR397-403.
- BaHammam A, Alrajeh M, Albabtain M, BaHammam S, Sharif M. Circadian pattern of sleep, energy expenditure, and body temperature of young healthy men during the intermittent fasting of Ramadan. Appetite. 2010 Apr;54(2):426-9. Epub 2010 Jan 25.
- Eliasson AH, Kashani MD, Turner E, Vernalis MN. Sleep is a Critical Factor in the Maintenance of a Healthy Weight. Am J of Respir Crit Care Med. 179;2009:A2113.
- Miwa H. Development of Mental Health Monitor – Measurement and Analysis of Sleep Quality Score Change. Digital Human Symposium. March 2009. Japan.
- Verbraecken J, Van Grasdorff S, Michiels F, Hamans E, Boudewyns A, Van de Heyning P, De Backer W, Cluydts R. Nocturnal energy expenditure, heat flux, and galvanic skin response in mild and moderate-to-severe obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). Presented at the European Respiratory Society meeting. 2008. Berlin, Germany.
- Miwa H, Sasahara S, Matsui T. Roll-over detection and sleep quality measurement using a wearable sensor. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2007 Aug;2007:1507-10.
- Germaine A, Buysse DJ, Kupfer DJ. Preliminary Validation of a New Device for Studying Sleep. Abstract presented at “SLEEP 2006” – 20th Anniversary Meeting of the Associated Professional Sleep Societies (APSS). 2006. Salt Lake City, UT. USA.
- Rizzi M, Pecis M, Andreoli A. Energy Expenditure in Obese Patients Suffering from Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrom (OSAS). Poster presented at the XVI National Congress of the Society of Sleep Medicine (AIMS). 2006. Milan, Italy.
- Josbeno DA, Kalarchian M, Sparto PJ, Otto AD, Jakicic JM. Physical Activity and Physical Function in Individuals Post-bariatric Surgery. Obes Surg. 2011. Aug;21(8):1243-9.
- Rokuss K, Kalenka A, Bender HJ, Hinkelbein J. Intensive care patients. Determining daily energy expenditure – a comparison of two methods. Anaestheisist. 2009 Aug;58(8):787-94.
- Mafra D, Deleaval P, Teta D, Cleaud C, Arkouche W, Jolivot A, Fouque D. Influence of inflammation on total energy expenditure in hemodialysis patients. J Ren Nutr. 2011. Sept;21(5):387-93.
- Almeida GJ, Wasko MC, Jeong K, Moore CG, Piva SR. Physical Activity Measured by the SenseWear Armband in Women with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Phys Ther. 2011. Sept;91(9):1367-76.
- Wouda MF, Lundgaard E, Lannem AM, Mowinckel P, Berntsen S. Evaluation of the SenseWear Armband to estimate energy expenditure during wheelchair propulsion. Adv in Physiotherapy. 2011. June;13(2):42-49.
- Leatherdale ST, Woodruff SJ, Manske SR. Energy Expenditure while playing active and inactive video games. Am J Health Behav. 2010 Jan-Feb;34(1):31-5.
- Hiremath S, Ding D. Evaluation of activity monitors to estimate energy expenditure in manual wheelchair users. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2009;1:835-8.
- Del Sal M, Barbieri E, Garbati P, Sisti D, Rocchi MB, Stocchi V. Physiological responses of firefighter recruits during a supervised live-fire work performance test. J Strength Cond Res. 2009 Nov;23(8):2396-404.
- Cereda E, Pezzoli G, Barichella M. Role of an electronic armband in motor functioning in patients with Parkinson’s disease. Nutrition. 2009;Oct[Epub ahead of print].
- Mosconi G, Panicali L, Corsini S, Parigino M, Pisoni D, Trerotola M, Storani D, Rois GS, Nanni CA, Stefoni S. Physical Activity in Solid Organ Transplant Recipients. Presented at the 14th Congress of the European Society of Organ Transplantation. Sept. 2009. Paris, France.
- Ricciardi L, Perissin R. Rotondo P. Measuring Energy Costs ofSubmarine Crew on Actual Duty. Presented at SAMAP 2009. San Diego, CA. USA.
- Theiss HD, Adam M, Greie S, Schobersberger W, Humpeler E, Franz WM. Increased levels of circulating progenitor cells after 1-week sojourn at moderate altitude (Austrian Moderate Altitude Study II, AMAS II). Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2008 Feb;160(2):232-8. [Epub 2007 Oct 13].
- Jin GH, Lee SB, Lee TS. Context awareness of human motion states using accelerometer. J Med Syst. 2008 Apr;32(2):93-100.
- Lee SB, Cha EJ, Lee TS. Analysis of physical activities in Taekwondo Pumsae. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2008;2008:5164-7.
- Alberti G, Gaeni M, Caimi A, Pisoni D, Roi G. Energetic expenditure during in-field rehabilitation after ACL reconstruction in soccer players. Presented at the Annual Conference of the American College of Sports Medicine meeting. 2008. Indianapolis, IN, USA.
- Bernsten S. Ledrup Carlsen K, Anderssen S, Carlson K. Do asthmatics who report exercise limitations participate in less physical activity of intensive character. Presented at the European Respiratory Society. 2008. Berlin, Germany.
- Sharkey PF, Danoff JR, Klein GR, Parvizi J. Surgeon energy expenditure during total joint arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2007 Feb;22(2):210-2.
- Manfredi F, Borleri D, Mosconi G. Measurement of energy expenditure in a group of construction workers during work. G Ital Med Lav Ergon. 2007 Jul-Sep:29(2 Suppl):722-5.
- Lee SB, Hong JH, Lee TS. Analysis of physical activities in wu-shu training. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2007 Aug;2007:632-5.
- Lisetti C, Nasoz F. Affective Intelligent Car Interfaces with Emotion Recognition. Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Human Computer Interaction. 2005. Las Vegas, NV. USA.
- Krause A, Siewiorek DP, Smailagic A, Farringdon J. Unsupervised, dynamic identification of physiological and activity context in wearable computing. Proceedings of the 7th IEEE International Symposium of Wearable Computers. 2003. White Plains, NY. USA.
- Bodine K, Gemperle F. Effects of Functionality on Perceived Comfort of Wearable Devices. Proceedings of the 7th IEEE International Symposium on Wearable Computers. 2003. White Plains, NY. USA.
- Mafra D, Deleaval P, Teta D, Cleaud C, Perrot MJ, Rognon S, Thevenet M, Arkouche W, Jolivot A, Fougue D. New measurements of energy expenditure and physical activity in chronic kidney disease. J Ren Nutr. 2009 Jan;19(1):16-9.
- Andre D. Assessing resting metabolic rate using a multi-sensor armband. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2007 May;15(5):1337;author reply 1337-8.
- De Feo P, Di Loreto C. University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy. Review: Evaluation of the SenseWear Pro Armband to assess Energy Expenditure during exercise. Diabete in Movimento (Diabetes in Movement), Italy. 2005. June: Issue 5, year 4.
Internal White Papers
- Andre D, Pelletier R, Farringdon J, Safier S, Talbott W, Stone R, Vyas N, Trimble J, Wolf D, Vishnubhatla S, Boehmke S, Stivoric J, Teller A. The Development of the SenseWear® armband, a Revolutionary Energy Assessment Device to Assess Physical Activity and Lifestyle. Copyright © 2006 BodyMedia, Inc.
- Kasabach C, Pacione C, Stivoric J, Des M, Teller A, Andre D. Why the Upper Arm? Factors Contributing to the Design of an Accurate and Comfortable, Wearable Body Monitor. Copyright © 2002 BodyMedia, Inc.
- Farringdon J, Wolf D. Does Heart Rate Predict Energy Expenditure? Yes, But… Oct. 2006. BodyMedia, Inc.
- Sunseri M, Liden C, Farringdon J, Pelletier R, Safier S, Stivoric J, Teller A, Vishnubhatla S. The SenseWear® Armband as a Sleep Detection Device. BodyMedia, Inc.
- Liden C, Wolowicz M, Stivoric J, Teller A, Kasabach C, Vishnubhatla S, Pelletier R, Farringdon J, Boehmke S. Characterization and Implications of the Sensors Incorporated into the SenseWear® Armband for Energy Expenditure and Activity Detection. BodyMedia, Inc.
- Liden CB, Wolowics M, Stivoric J, Teller A, Vishnubhatla S, Pelletier R, Farringdon J. Accuracy and Reliability of the SenseWear Armband as an Energy Expenditure Assessment Device. BodyMedia, Inc.
- Liden CB, Wolowicz M, Stivoric J, Teller A, Vishnubhatla S, Pelletier R, Farringdon J, Boehmke S. Benefits of the SenseWear Armband over other Physical Activity Measurement Techniques. BodyMedia, Inc.
- Peter C, Schultz R, Voskamp J, Urban B, Nowack N, Janik H, Kraft K, Gocke R. EREC-II in Use – Studies on Usability and Suitability of a Sensor System for Affect Detection and Human Performance Monitoring. 2007. 4552:465-474.
- Andre D, Teller A. Health. Care. Anywhere. Today. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics. 2005. 118:89-110.
- Farringdon J, Nashold S. Continuous Body Monitoring. Ambient Intelligence for Scientific Discovery. 2005. 3345:202-223.